Entitled, #SNMAinAction: Stepping Up to the Plate, Swinging for Success, the 2013 AMEC embraces SNMA's mission to support the educational and professional pursuits of current and future underrepresented minority medical students, training clinically excellent, culturally competent, and socially conscious physicians. Our goal in the 2013 conference will be to both highlight what we do best as an organization and to empower our attendees with the tools needed to continue performing the activities which positively impact students and communities across the country! With workshops focused on academic success, professional development, community empowerment, and research, attendees will be inspired and motivated to become pioneering physicians of tomorrow, translating what they have learned to impact health disparities and diversify the face of medicine. To that end, we know that this year’s national conference will provide a wealth of resources and knowledge that will further the mission of SNMA, and inspire you, one of our nation’s future physicians.
We heartily welcome your participation with SNMA in Louisville. The AMEC conference program will include all of these traditional annual events, plus some other special features:
• House of Delegates sessions and election of national officers.
• A dynamic exhibit hall for peer and professional networking.
• Insightful and provocative workshops with inspirational speakers.
• 4th Year and Beyond Educational Track, designed for senior medical students and residents.
• Physician-Researcher Initiative (PRI) Educational Track, highlighting careers in academic medicine and research, and tips on becoming excellent future physician scientists.
• Annual Dr. Wilbert C. Jordan Research Forum, displaying the clinical and basic science research conducted by our members.
• Pre-medical Forum (PmF) and Recruitment Fair, designed just for our pre-medical members.
• Installation Ceremony for the 2013-2014 SNMA National President.
• Board of Directors Banquet and Ball, where we will celebrate the hard work and achievements of SNMA members nationwide.
• A Community Service event, designed to serve the local community.
• The SNMA Commencement and Pinning Ceremony, held to recognize and applaud our emerging physicians.
• Pre-Medical Advisor Educational Track, with workshops designed for school administrators, with tips on how to prepare students for a career in medicine.
The conference program is segmented into specialized workshop tracks to meet the needs of our diverse membership body, as indicated below. Plenary sessions and other presentations are of general interest and are therefore open to all.
• Medical Student Educational Workshop Track
• Pre-medical Student Educational Workshop Track
• Physician-Researcher Initiative Educational Workshop Track
• Fourth-Year and Beyond Educational Workshop Track
• Pre-Medical Advisor Educational Workshop Track
You mustn’t miss the Exhibits! The exhibit hall will be a hub of activity, with several exciting events planned there, including the opening reception, the annual Dr. Wilbert C. Jordan Research Forum , community service poster displays, and interactive demonstrations! Encompassing 23,400 square feet of space, the Exhibits—Professional (medical students and residents) and a Pre-medical Recruitment Fair (for undergraduates and post-baccalaureate students)—will provide a wealth of information and specialized resources, an education in and of itself! Refreshment breaks are scheduled each day of exhibiting.
December 15, 2012
– Last day for “Early Bird” discount registration
December 31, 2012
– Last day for "Early Bird" discount registration for members attending Regional Conferences (RD-certified)
February 15, 2013
– Last day for "Regular" registration
March 1, 2013
– Last date to cancel registration and receive full refund (written notification is required)
March 9, 2013
– Last day to obtain SNMA group rate for hotel room reservations at the Galt House
March 15, 2013
– Last day for on-line registration. After this date, registration will be on-site.
– Last day to make a substitution
– Last date to report late arrival (in order for the staff to hold a conference packet)