Purpose: Increasingly adult patients with psychiatric disorders present in the medical-surgical, intensive care, obstetrical, ambulatory, or perioperative services. This workshop will assist the nurse and healthcare provider to appropriately care for their behavioral health needs in the acute care setting.
At the completion of this program the participant will be able to:
1. Discuss the diagnostic criteria of the DSM IV TR classification.
2. Correlate psychotropic medications and disorders for which they are prescribed.
3. Identify key side effects of select psychotropic medications.
4. State the risk factors for suicide.
5. Differentiate between the care of the patient in medical and behavioral health restraints.
6. Utilize verbal techniques to de-escalate an aggressive/angry individual
7. Outline the care considerations for the addicted patient