For the International Advancement of
As we do at the start of every year, the Charles Louis Davis and Samuel Wesley Thompson Foundation for the Advancement of Veterinary Pathology and Laboratory Animal Medicine conducts its annual membership drive. We are hoping that you will consider initiating or renewing your individual annual membership. Why should you become a members of the Davis-Thompson Foundation? There are many reasons why our colleagues support the Foundation through their memberships, and here are only a few:
1) By supporting the Foundation, you support pathology and lab animal medicine education around the world. The Davis-Thompson Foundation is truly an international operation, with over 30 courses on six continents each year, and given in multiple languages. Your membership also supports over 225 International Study Centers at veterinary schools around the world, where veterinarians in all specialties can study Foundation DVDs and publications. In 2015, the Foundation opened new divisions in Egypt and Uruguay, and new study centers in the Phillippines, Poland, Hungary, Romania, and Indonesia. We already have plans to open a new division and study center in Peru in 2016.
2) By supporting the Foundation, you support young veterinarians around the world. Each year, the overwhelming majority of participants at Foundation courses, or visitors to our study centers, are young pathologists or lab animal practitioners studying for advanced degrees or board certification. Many of our current members (including myself) remember the Foundation’s courses as an important and necessary part of our training, and becoming a member is an outstanding way to pass on our good fortune to those who follow behind us.
3) By supporting the Foundation, you can get great discounts on Foundation courses. Each year, members receive 10-20% off of tuition on all of our courses – when you combine the Foundation’s high-quality continuing education and low-cost CE credits, that‘s a fantastic deal!
4) By supporting the Foundation, you can support your friends, colleagues, and faculty members who volunteer their time and energy as our speakers, course directors, and officers on a wholly volunteer basis. (Yes, we do it all for free). As you probably also know, the Foundation has no endowment, so each year, we must raise the funds to continue to hold courses, publish online materials, and establish study centers around the world.
5) Finally, all memberships are counted as donations to the Foundation, a publicly donative charity and fully deductible from your US income tax.
All of these are great reasons to support the Foundation, and the easiest way to do this is by becoming an individual member for only $110. Even better, perhaps you may be able to convince your university to become an affiliate member (conferring membership privileges on you and all of your co-workers), or your company to become a corporate member (and you get the same deal).
Bruce H. Williams, DVM
Chairman, Board of Directors, Davis-Thompson Foundation