Sponsored by: UMass Extension, the UMass Waugh Arboretum, and Eversource
• Lecture, Campus Walk & Talk, and Book Signing with Dr. Michael Dirr
• Grand Opening of the UMass/Eversource Utility Arboretum
• Gordon King Memorial Tree Planting
FRIDAY, APRIL 21 – 2:00 to 3:00 pm
LECTURE: THE ORIGINS OF NEW SHADE AND ORNAMENTAL TREES: THE ROLES OF SERENDIPITY AND BREEDING – Dr. Michael Dirr
Following the lecture on Friday:
• BOOK SIGNING by Dr. Dirr - Copies of his Manual of Woody Landscape Plants and Dirr’s
Encyclopedia of Trees and Shrubs will be for sale.
• TOUR OF THE NEW UMASS DESIGN BUILDING WATER MANAGEMENT GARDENS by
Mike Davidsohn, UMass Dept. of Landscape and Regional Planning
SATURDAY, APRIL 22 - 8:00 to 11:45 am
Choose ONE of two concurrent sessions – each session includes 90 minutes at each of the following:
• TREE WALK & TALK WITH MICHAEL DIRR – Tree identification and appreciation walk and talk on the UMass campus.
• UTILITY ARBORICULTURE - FROM THE GROUND UP!
Join Paul Sellers and Bob Allen from EVERSOURCE Vegetation Management as they discuss and demonstrate the safety and strategy that is inherent in every utility pruning job set up. Details will include, Job Briefing, Work Zone Traffic Control, Drop Zone, Personal Protective Equipment, Tool Maintenance, and Equipment overview all before making the first cut. Asplundh Tree Expert Company will have equipment and tree crew on site to help demonstrate the preparation that is needed to safely and successfully provide adequate tree clearance from Electric lines.
Concurrent Session 1 – start with Dr. Dirr’s Tree Walk & Talk 8:00-9:30, then move to the Utility Arboriculture presentation for 10:15-11:45
Concurrent Session 2 – start with the Utility Arboriculture presentation 8:00-9:30, then move to the Dr. Dirr’s Tree Walk & Talk from 10:15-11:45
1:00 pm - MEMORIAL TREE PLANTING FOR PROF. GORDON KING - Everyone welcome!
Location: Durfee Conservatory, UMass Amherst