Arts and Entertainment is offered through the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA Extension).
This unique and exciting program will help you, as an au pair working in the United States, to gain the most from your American experience. The program can also satisfy the U.S. Department of State au pair educational requirement. Most au pairs can earn all the hours they need by completing two of our very affordable, 3-day weekend courses, plus pre-assignments.
Learn about American culture and history through an in-depth look at the fields of entertainment and the arts! Through a combination of classroom discussions, hands-on workshops, and field trips around Los Angeles, you will experience what “the creative capital of the world” has to offer. This course has two tracks to choose from -- Performing Arts or Visual Arts, as described below.
Course Track Descriptions
Performing Arts: Theater, Music, TV/Film
Deepen your understanding of the performing arts through classes, hands-on workshops, and excursions throughout Los Angeles. Participate in workshops on drama and music, taught by artists in the field. Learn about the history of the film and TV industry, with a particular emphasis on Hollywood. You will have an opportunity to see a live performance, as well as tour some of the most famous theaters and concert halls in Los Angeles. Throughout the weekend, this course places an emphasis on creativity and the importance of using it in your personal and professional lives.
Visual Arts: Art, Architecture, Photography
Deepen your understanding of the visual arts through classes, hands-on workshops, and excursions throughout Los Angeles. Participate in workshops on art and photography, taught by artists in the field. Learn about art history and its influence on social media and pop culture today, as well as street art throughout Los Angeles. Explore the area’s architecture and visit several well-known museums. You will also practice your photography skills during a Hollywood photo challenge. Throughout the weekend, this course places an emphasis on creativity and the importance of using it in your personal and professional lives.
Arts and Entertainment, Performing Arts track OR Visual Arts track, 3-Day Weekend
Up to 36 education hours - equivalent to 3 credit hours
$295 tuition, $10 registration fee, $100 materials/activities fee
Arts and Entertainment, Performing Arts track AND Visual Arts track, Two 3-Day Weekends
Up to 72 educational hours - equivalent to 6 credit hours
$500 tuition, $15 registration fee, $200 materials/activity fee
*Check with your au pair agency regarding hours and credits, as requirements vary.
Please Note: A $50 LATE REGISTRATION FEE APPLIES WHEN REGISTERING LESS THAN ONE MONTH BEFORE CLASS START DATE.
CLASS MEETING SCHEDULE
Fridays: 11 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. (check-in is at 10:30 a.m.)
Saturdays: 9:00 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Sundays: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Please note that class times are always the same for each weekend in LA. Attendance is mandatory during the times listed above.
COURSE WORK REQUIREMENTS
In addition to attending all hours of class time, you must complete three pre-assignments per course to prepare before coming to Au Pair Weekend. This will be done through an educational program called Canvas. Be sure to use the same email address for Canvas as the one you will use to register for this class. There are no post-assignments to complete for this course. If you have completed all of your pre-assignments and all of the weekend activities, you will receive a certificate for 36 educational hours (the equivalent of 3 credit hours) at the end of the weekend.
• Coursework includes classroom hours, activities, excursions, plus arts and entertainment-related assignments throughout the weekend.
• Pre-assignments help prepare you for class. Register early so that you'll have plenty of time to complete your pre-assignments. Assignment details will be sent to you after you register. If you DO NOT receive an email within 24 hours of registering for a course, it is your responsibility to email your Program Coordinator to ask for the pre-assignment instructions.
• Check with your au pair agency concerning hours and credits, as requirements vary with different agencies.
Housing is not provided or arranged for students who attend a weekend course. Accommodation suggestions and additional information are provided here below: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hAxiZaKjyfBzR09ogLH7UdYWOTsEiV6hTSRNTAg1cf0/edit?ts=599f0a0b
Please visit https://www.aupairclasses.org/los-angeles for a full list of parking options.
CONTACTING YOUR PROGRAM COORDINATOR
You may contact your Program Coordinator, Kelli Dougal, by email or phone, but email is preferred.
Phone: (385) 355-4674
If a medical emergency prevents you from attending class, you must provide documentation from a doctor. Documentation will allow you to either reschedule for a later weekend or it will allow you to receive a partial refund. If this situation applies, please contact us for assistance.
In order to provide educational and enjoyable courses to au pairs at very affordable prices, we can only issue tuition refunds for cancellations requested at least three weeks prior to the course starting date. Here’s how it works.
• The registration fee is never refundable.
• No refunds will be issued within three weeks of the course start date. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made, so please do not ask.
• If you request a refund at least three weeks prior to the start date of the course, there is a $50 cancellation fee.
• You are not eligible for a refund simply because you fail to show up for class.
• If a medical emergency prevents you from attending class, you must provide documentation from a doctor to reschedule for a later weekend or to receive any type of refund. If this situation applies, please contact us for assistance.
• Refunds are processed back to the credit card used for registration. If the credit card number is no longer active, it is your responsibility to notify us at the time of cancellation.
All refund requests must be emailed to us with the following information:
• Course name
• Course dates
• Reason for dropping
• Telephone number where you can be reached
• Host family's name and email address
• Your permission to allow Au Pair Weekend to drop the course on your behalf
If you need to switch to a different weekend course date, contact us to make this request. Please include which course and date you originally registered for, and the new course and date you would like. (Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee your date change choice.) There is a $25 change fee if you make your request at least three weeks prior to both the original course and the new course start dates. If you make your request less than three weeks before the start dates, the change fee will be $100.