Create all the dazzling images of an African photo safari—without leaving the country. Join us in the heart of Texas with Canon Explorer of Light Rick Sammon, as we visit Fossil Rim Wildlife Center for a 3-day workshop to photograph zebra, wildebeest, cheetah, rhino, giraffe and other rare and remarkable creatures in a natural environment.
Where We’re Going:
We'll be based at Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose, Texas (75 miles southwest of Dallas), where Rick will share his vast knowledge, tips and photographic skills. You will see over 1,000 animal species over 1,700 acres.
You’ll even have the option to stay in an authentic safari-style tent where you’ll overlook one of Fossil Rim’s most popular wildlife watering holes and wake to the view of free-roaming animals—just like an African safari.
Daily Safari Tours
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
2299 County Road 2008
Glen Rose, Texas, 76043
Note: lodging costs are not included in the workshop price and are based on double occupancy.
“Wild” animals in a natural environment will provide plenty of inspiring photographs. An abundance of provided Canon gear will allow you to learn and experiment, enhancing the experience even more. Your “Out of Africa” safari adventure includes:
• Three-day immersion of wildlife photography in the field
• Private dinner and presentation at the Safari Camp Pavilion
• Private group game drives in open-sided vehicles to maximize photo opportunities
• Free gear loans including a variety of camera bodies, L-Series lenses and long telephoto and super telephoto lenses to bring the action close to you
• 1-2 Professional Prints of your work to take home from a Canon Pro Printer
What You Will Learn:
Limited to 14 participants, you will have plenty of one-on-one attention and support from Rick and Canon Technical Specialists. In both the classroom and the field, you’ll learn how to:
• Maximize camera settings and lens choices to capture striking animal portraits
• ‘See’ like a true wildlife photographer, and find the decisive moment
• Create high-impact images in the digital darkroom
• Critique images and select the best images for printing
Intermediate and Advanced students are welcome. This unique workshop is perfect for photographers looking to improve their wildlife photography skills, build their portfolios and have some fun, too!
A firm understanding of your camera operations including using manual mode, F-stops and shutter speed is needed.