Skip to Content
Host Your Own Event
Developmental Disabilities and Dementia: Best Practices in Care
For more information please contact Kathryn Pears.
Sponsored by the South Carolina Developmental Disabilities Council
The workshop runs starts promptly at 9 am and ends promptly at 5 pm.
Early Bird Rate through January 15, 2019 $50.00
After January 15, 2019: $75.00
Group Discount: Register 2 staff and send a 3rd staff member for 50% off!
This workshop is the requisite training for anyone working with aging adults with DD and dementia or who are at risk of developing dementia and will ensure your staff have the latest in evidence-informed best practices for care.
• Rehabilitation to habitation...a shift in philosophy of care
• Understanding dementia in adults with DD: What is dementia? How does it present differently in adults with Down syndrome and other forms of DD?
• Early detection and screening for dementia…Challenges & resources.
• Guidelines for obtaining a thorough diagnostic evaluation
• Behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of dementia in adults with DD
• Four easily avoided triggers of behavioral disturbances in dementia and how to avoid them
• Effective non-pharmacologic interventions for behavior: Avoiding the use of antipsychotics for managing challenging behavior
• Dementia-friendly design: Easy and inexpensive adaptations to physical space to support independence
• End-of-life care and ethical considerations
A certificate for 8 contact hours will be awarded.
Start Your Registration
Enter a discount code if one was provided to you
Verify Email Address
View or Change Your Existing Registration
You can also register a group.
Event Contact Information
Interested in hosting your own event?
Your Privacy Rights
Quick, easy and affordable
online event registration
event management software
for all event sizes.